• Case work & referrals
• Community engagement to build linguistic and cultural skills
• Links to other social enterprises and businesses
• Awareness sessions for trainees – work in the Australian business context
• Awareness sessions for employers – how to work with people from diverse backgrounds
• Employment & pathways training including communication skills, job application and resume writing, presentation skills and seeking opportunities for duration of program.
Aim / Goal of Activities
• Give trainees the opportunity to gain employment through gaining a qualification
• Support TIMS achieve its organisational goals through an increased workforce and building capacity around resources and systems.
• Provide assistance to TIMS in the preparation, conducting and wrapping up of the Toowoomba Languages and Cultural Festival.
• Organise events that TIMS has not had the capacity to do so due to limited resources of people as they are all volunteers.
• Events identified include:
• Chinese New Year (this was successfully conducted once but due limited resources, was not run again)
• Multicultural Career Pathways Expo (for employers)
• Cultural Workshops
• Need for trainees in business administration.
• Need for more cultural diversity with administration skills across NFPs and private businesses in Toowoomba.
• There is also a growing number of small businesses that are being established in Toowoomba’s refugee and migrant community. These people are often unable to gain employment therefore are establishing their own businesses.
• These businesses require individuals who understand the language and cultural barriers but also have administration skills that are relevant to the Australian context.
• Aligns to principles of the Multicultural Charter.